Sunday, July 31, 2011

Adventures in ConLand

no, not with ex- or current convicts.
That is another blog-entry entirely...

We had Finncon/Animecon here in my hometown of Turku few weekends ago. Scifinerds united with mangateens from Friday to Sunday.
Tremendous fun for me at least.

I even "got" to be a part of the program: first (yes, very first program of the event on Friday) I interviewed my partner in cosmic criminality, the talented graphic artist Sari Sariola who did graphic design for the event.

I am still a bit miffed for the committee organizing the event who wanted her to tone down the Androidess's figure because it had curves.
I sort of got it for the Animecon, I mean who would want to corrupt young minds set on panties and kaiju-creatures with wandering tentacles?

But Finncon? Us (mainly middle-aged SF/F - fans) we might be shocked to the core if we saw picture of a hot android.

That's just my view but hey go see for yourself her work at http://sarisariola.blogspot.com/2011/07/case-finnconanimecon-2011-part-2.html you will not regret it.

We had a blast on the interview (well I did anyways) but then I had to run to the other side of university area to manga vs western comic-panel discussion.
Guess who stood for western side all by his lonesome?
Yeah.
I fitted amongst the mangagirls like a loud un-tamed boar with a sledgehammer fits to a nice Victorian tea party.
Some thought I was funny, though.
then again most people tend to do that as with my eye-patch and biker wear and tattoos I do send certain not-so-subliminal messages.

But again: I liked it.
After that we had missed almost all other workshops and comic art related program. Which sucked.

Thankfully the guest of honor was Richard Morgan.
If the name is unfamiliar go and read his books, Altered carbon is a good start.
Do it.
NOW.

He gave a speech about his stint as comic writer, Black widow to Marvel comics, and used as an example as how horrid superhero stuff can be a scene from a comic where the Thing comes to a bar and starts a fight with Hulk for apparently no reason.

The scotsman (aye, Morgan is a scot) told this in quite amusing fashion and I recognized the story.
I had bought it as a trade cheaply secondhand.

So, come Saturday, after his guest of Honor speech there was a signing by mr. Richard Morgan.
Me and my beloved Sari(with whom, since we are...umm..what's opposite of quiet and reserved?, he had become quite accustomed ) first offered Altered carbon for signing.

And after that we pulled out the aforementioned HULK/THING: Hard Knocks TPB.
He smiled, laughed and signed it.
Got to love the guy.

The reason I like to go to con's is the way you meet people like Richard Morgan and get to hear their ideas.
And on con's there are also all the guys and gals who are brethren nerds.
Who love science fiction, fantasy, horror and comics.

it is a breeding ground for ideas if one is willing to listen and talk, to fuel up one's imagination and ideas.
For me it was such a fertile sounding board that I can't thank enough people making it possible. Especially my significant other whose Androidess is so far the most kick-ass icon of these con's ever.
The Phoenix was groovy but if she ever gives another chance to use the Androidess any way (I know it sounds so good and so wrong at the same time, doesn't it?) I'll gladly take it.

and last, but not least Tero Ykspetäjä took a photo I am really happy.
Me with my tattoo and guys of 501st legion Nordic garrison.
(I am the one on left, no, still not the one with the kimono. I'm the one with truly wickedly cool t-shirt.)
EDIT Yes I still **** up these images, just double click it to view it properly


For the Empire!

No comments:

Post a Comment